Skip to main content

All I Want for Us is to Feel Again

 


We were young girls

Who used to play at the beach, 

Hugging, we watched the sun

drowning. 

We danced till the candyman went home, 

Our skirts swayed with the wind, 

Cajoling us to stay a bit longer. 

We never thought this picture

would fade away. 

I know this would never come back, 

But I want to feel again. 

I want to go back where my heart is. 

All I want is to be free and feel again. 

The colours and smell still linger with me, 

I miss the happiness I felt, 

The aches that watered me. 

My skin misses the way it felt, 

My hair misses the gentle kiss of the beach wind

The bookstores and beach waters wait for us, 

They send a thousand silent sirens

to us, 

When will we feel it again? 

The recklessness of age, 

the courage of freedom, 

the music in our brains, 

And the limbs that never stopped. 

The yellow city lights

Gladly kissing the fine roads, 

absorbed our shadows, 

to make souvenirs. 

My heart misses that excitement, 

on watching the cliched scenes, 

But I know we want to feel again, 

before our lives change, 

To be the young girls, 

To get lost, 

All I want for us is to feel again. 


A. C


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laapataa Ladies aka Ladies Lost in Patriarchy

Kiran Rao’s “Laapataa Ladies” is a social satire that offers entertainment as well as empowerment. The movie humorously portrays the grave realities of a patriarchal society with the help of a simple story and background. As the name and the trailer suggested, it revolves around two newly married brides who get lost on the way to their in-laws’ home. While Jaya, whom Deepak accidentally brings home instead of his wife Phool, seizes this opportunity to follow her dream, Phool undergoes profound personal growth during the time. This period shows multiple women discovering themselves. Some learn to do things that they love for themselves while others learn to explore and embrace their talents.  Even though Jaya and Phool are two contradictory characters, they are both equally victims of patriarchal conditioning. While Jaya is ready to break and act against all the norms of society from the very beginning by uttering the name of her husband to everyone’s disbelief, Phool learns to do t...

SHE

She was a girl of little importance.. She was not a damsel or a princess. But there was fire in her eyes. The fire of determination. Fire of dreams to be fullfilled. She never saw it ,but others did. But others never understood it ,but she did. She always dreamt of her future prince. Her shining eyes and glossy lips always waited for the arrival of her prince. One day. She met her prince,the charming one who came on white horse, she believed destiny made them meet, And she prayed let the same destiny unite them!! Days passed. Everyday she saw him. But she was afraid to come out of her shell. Another day. As she walked, he came. He walked towards her. she paused. As he reached closer her heart wrenched from its seat. And now there is no distance  between them. He smiled and reached for her lips. she closed her eyes. They kissed. It was deep. He looked at her. She tried to be normal.. But there was nothing normal around her...

A Second Thought

  Blankness engulfs me The thought of being dumb Decision pending... Grab my hand Take me away Away to the darkness Hell is being created here... I run to hide.. Hide beneath the blankets Goosebumps... Shiver... Fear... Owls... Houls... Blood... Tides... Thunder... Blinking lights... Black and White Steps... Gorges... Heart beats... Nightmares... Everything  transcends darkness... Orendaa!! Altar... Angels... Baby's breath... Laughs... Sunlight... Rain... Candles... Peace... Breath at last... Yes! Time to revamp my life. A.C