Skip to main content

The Lost Daughter - An Ode to Motherhood and Flawed Mothers

 Mothers are always praised and glorified for the sacrifices that they make and are called supermoms, if they find a balance with their family and work life. Movies have always portrayed mothers as either sacrificial or supermoms. But do all the mothers choose the same road? 


Maggie Gyllenhaal's 'The Lost Daughter' speaks for all the flawed unnatural mothers. People who become mothers at an early age, who feel traumatized by the whole new version of themselves, who live in fear of losing their original identity in the run for creating one for their children, who make choices selfishly regardless of their children's needs. Leda in the movie, in fear of losing her individuality in the love for her children, takes a decision to focus on her career. She finds it as an amazing experience and embraces everything that she desired, peeling off the perfect mother image that she is supposed to keep. 


When women are considered to have innate motherness in them, people don't realise that not all the women can be "perfect mothers". Flawed mothers and their maternal guilt, and their struggle between the desire to live on one's own terms and to live for someone else, needs a representation. 

Leda is conflicted about being liberated from the responsibilities of parenthood and wracked by guilt for the price she paid for that freedom. The suffocating claustrophobic motherhood that young Leda experiences with an unsupportive husband contributes to her momentous decision to choose herself.   She upends the centuries of self- sacrificing image of mother and chooses herself because mothers are individuals with flaws, and everyone cannot be supermoms.


Leda and Nina in the movie demands to look deep into the problematic depiction of mothers and motherhood in our social structure. Leda and Nina haven’t simply resigned to the fact that they’re emotionally detached, they’re caught in a catastrophic cycle of wanting to abide by, but also wanting to break free. In Leda, Nina can see her future, and it terrifies her. And in Nina, Leda can see her past. Unlike the orange peel, this chain will likely remain unbroken. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHE

She was a girl of little importance.. She was not a damsel or a princess. But there was fire in her eyes. The fire of determination. Fire of dreams to be fullfilled. She never saw it ,but others did. But others never understood it ,but she did. She always dreamt of her future prince. Her shining eyes and glossy lips always waited for the arrival of her prince. One day. She met her prince,the charming one who came on white horse, she believed destiny made them meet, And she prayed let the same destiny unite them!! Days passed. Everyday she saw him. But she was afraid to come out of her shell. Another day. As she walked, he came. He walked towards her. she paused. As he reached closer her heart wrenched from its seat. And now there is no distance  between them. He smiled and reached for her lips. she closed her eyes. They kissed. It was deep. He looked at her. She tried to be normal.. But there was nothing normal around her .

My Tagless Name

(Written as a part of International Women's Day 2018. This poem was published in Delhi Poetry Slam on March 15 2018.) I'm Beautiful. But, I'm called inferior, I'm a Housewife. I'm called a bitch, I'm a Whore. I'm named as powerless, I'm the Company CEO. I'm called the blabbering witch, I'm a Grandma. I'm called careless I'm a Nurse. I'm known as no sex, I'm a Trans. I'm termed as the backward, I'm an Indian. I may not be fond of men, But that doesn't define me. I cannot be reduced to a column in an application form. My hands and legs are exuberant enough to do sundry duties. I change my cloaks several times, and hide in tangled forests, expecting your empty handed return. My ugliness laughs at your hollowness as I bath in the Blue Sea. I walk around the globe and touch your horoscopic stars. I tread through your ways , the prisoner light breaks its shackles and encroaches my body.

THE DREAMCATCHER ( A Poem)

She tried. And made the hoops from willows to wove those magical webs. Wrapped the hoop with suede lacing. The string was woven onto the hoop. Hours passed. She wove some of her favourite decorations to it. Feathers and gemstones, hidden with meanings. Hours passed. But she wanted it  to be perfect. And finally, here it is. THE DREAMCATCHER. She hung it on  her bedroom wall and watched it carefully. Rubbed it with an artist's pride. The hoop smiled, ensuring the travel of sun through the mighty sky. She thought that when night comes  the hole in the center would only let Bawedjige( good dreams)pass. She would be able to sleep safe and sound today. The nightmares will never ever haunt her. For she has her Dreamcatcher. And Bawedjigewin( bad dreams) will be trapped in the web, to be dispelled at the first light of morning. She slept. The sun rays pierced into her eyes. She opened her eyes with the innocence of a newborn babe. The thought stroke her. She