Skip to main content

A Call for One More Summer Swim

 


Dear Oliver, 

  Last summer was not only about freshly smelling grass and ripened peaches to me, it became something more than that because of you. Your arrival to help my father taught me lessons for a lifetime. It was you who gave meaning to my summer, to my days and its absurdities. When I first saw you, little did I realise that you are going to unravel the real Elio, an Elio who was so much in love. An Elio who was so confused at the choices of his love and who showed the courage to confront it no matter what. I remember when you whispered to me "Call me by your name and I'll call you by mine", the time when I felt as if the four lettered word Elio pouring out from your mouth is all I wanted to listen to in this entire universe. But sometimes life offers us a different path, away from what we actually want. 

I still remember the fun we had at Bergamo, the way you kissed me secretly pressing against the walls, never did I experience that feeling ever again. Because it was you, it was always you whom I loved hardly and who broke my heart. Even if we cannot be together, I'm glad that you were part of my life. However far I go, whatever I do or whoever I meet, Oliver, you will always be the one within whom I find home, with whom I can always be that introspective teenager. When I saw you dancing your heart out to 'Love my way' at the party, it was then I realized my love for you and the kiss that I stole from you at the bank of the river was my declaration of it, everything feels like yesterday. 

Our memories are vividly played as in a video to me, the first and last time I kissed you. Similar to prophet Gideon, I followed my visions for you which was my desire. But with you being gone, my memories are only visions of what could have been between me and you. I know you love me the way I do, but we are people stuck in a realm of impediments and raising eyebrows. However I hope there will be a day when lovers like us can walk holding hands, not in some secret alleys, but through public places, without struggling in shyness and stigma. Untill then, remember, call me by your name and I'll call you by mine. 

To peaches, summer swims, and bike rides with you. 

Love, 

Elio


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laapataa Ladies aka Ladies Lost in Patriarchy

Kiran Rao’s “Laapataa Ladies” is a social satire that offers entertainment as well as empowerment. The movie humorously portrays the grave realities of a patriarchal society with the help of a simple story and background. As the name and the trailer suggested, it revolves around two newly married brides who get lost on the way to their in-laws’ home. While Jaya, whom Deepak accidentally brings home instead of his wife Phool, seizes this opportunity to follow her dream, Phool undergoes profound personal growth during the time. This period shows multiple women discovering themselves. Some learn to do things that they love for themselves while others learn to explore and embrace their talents.  Even though Jaya and Phool are two contradictory characters, they are both equally victims of patriarchal conditioning. While Jaya is ready to break and act against all the norms of society from the very beginning by uttering the name of her husband to everyone’s disbelief, Phool learns to do t...

SHE

She was a girl of little importance.. She was not a damsel or a princess. But there was fire in her eyes. The fire of determination. Fire of dreams to be fullfilled. She never saw it ,but others did. But others never understood it ,but she did. She always dreamt of her future prince. Her shining eyes and glossy lips always waited for the arrival of her prince. One day. She met her prince,the charming one who came on white horse, she believed destiny made them meet, And she prayed let the same destiny unite them!! Days passed. Everyday she saw him. But she was afraid to come out of her shell. Another day. As she walked, he came. He walked towards her. she paused. As he reached closer her heart wrenched from its seat. And now there is no distance  between them. He smiled and reached for her lips. she closed her eyes. They kissed. It was deep. He looked at her. She tried to be normal.. But there was nothing normal around her...

A Second Thought

  Blankness engulfs me The thought of being dumb Decision pending... Grab my hand Take me away Away to the darkness Hell is being created here... I run to hide.. Hide beneath the blankets Goosebumps... Shiver... Fear... Owls... Houls... Blood... Tides... Thunder... Blinking lights... Black and White Steps... Gorges... Heart beats... Nightmares... Everything  transcends darkness... Orendaa!! Altar... Angels... Baby's breath... Laughs... Sunlight... Rain... Candles... Peace... Breath at last... Yes! Time to revamp my life. A.C